Key Resource Parameters For SAGD
Achieving technical as well as economic success in SAGD operations depends on many criteria, but four reservoir parameters are considered absolutely key. These are:
- The thickness of the bitumen-bearing reservoir;
- The porosity (or physical space in the sands available to hold bitumen);
- The permeability (or ability of fluids to move through the reservoir); and
- The ratio of bitumen to sand and water within a given volume of reservoir.
The minimum standards to sustain practical operations are considered to be:
- 10-14 metres of net pay;
- 27 percent porosity;
- 2 Darcys of horizontal permeability; and
- 6-8 percent bitumen weight.
The Clearwater reservoir exceeds all of these levels, in some cases by large margins. Details can be found by clicking here.